Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Crawfish Boil

We decided to have a crawfish boil last night. Now don't get me wrong, we've been to many many crawfish boils, but never have we "done the dirty work" ourselves. It's a process, and it's fun!
Since we've lived here for almost SIX years, and haven't learned this fine art yet, James figured it was time!

I remember when James and I were getting married. We had a crawfish boil at our rehearsal dinner. It was so much fun watching all my friends and family who had never encountered a Louisiana Crawfish Boil. They were like, "You're gonna EAT that?" Needless to say, they all loved it! (at least from what I remember). My friend, Cory, picked up a whole crawfish and stuck it in his mouth..aww, northerners. We forgive you. And we gave everyone a lesson on how to eat the little delicacies.

James decided that after this crawfish boil, he "needed" a bigger pot. We boiled 20 pounds of crawfish (for 4 of us!) and had to do it in two batches. The second batch was way better....it always is.

Looks like we have an "escapee." Not to worry, Champ wasn't going to let him out of his sight. I have to admit, live crawfish FREAK ME OUT. I hate the noise they make crawling all over each other in the bag...and the sounds they make involuntarily being dumped into boiling water....makes my skin crawl. I never watch that part. Makes me kinda sad....but not for long! Cause soon it's grub time.


Here lie dead crawfish in a pot. Soaking up all those delicious flavors. Soon they will be in my tummy. yum.



Charlie needs another haircut. Can you tell?

Our finished product. The mushrooms are my favorite. They are so tasty. We put extra in last night so there'd be plenty for everyone.
See that honkin' big clove of garlic in the middle? THOSE are yum too.

Charlie had to get in on the action. He wasn't afraid to touch the crawfish. Jackson, on the other hand, wouldn't dare touch....I finally coaxed him into holding a broken off claw. That's as far as he'd go.
And Charlie thought he'd like to put the spicy crawfish in his mouth. Ouch, burning lips!

The cool thing about having crawfish boils is that it's such a social event. You dump out the crawfish on a big table and everyone stands around and peels and eats crawfish as they please. You can take a break if you'd like, then come back for some more.

What a great way to end Mardi Gras!
And if you come and visit us, we'll throw a crawfish boil for you...since we know how to and all.
Ps James....well done! Those were some of the best crawfish! Thank you:)

2 comments:

Chelsea Drew said...

YUM!!!!! That looks sooo delicious! I'm game for a crawfish boil the next time I'm in the neighborhood! I remember your rehearsal... I was so aprehensive to try them... but they are delicious! Give those angel boys a kiss for me and tell them Carter can't wait to play! I think he will definitely be giving them a run for their money the next time you are up! I'm gonna put more pics up either tonight or tomorrow.. so be sure to check them out.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! It looks great! Will those be in season when I'm down in March? I miss all of you and can't wait to see you!!! Love Nonna