Thursday, September 4, 2008

Highlights of the week

Here's our week.
In a nutshell.
Friday my sweet friends, Kim & Katie sent Charlie a birthday present.
He's in LOVE with it.
Thanks guys!


Then later that day...

Nanna sent him a birthday card.

And it was no ordinary card.

It was huge AND played the hampster dance.

Our fav around here.

Saturday morning we woke up and I made the boys blueberry pancakes (chocolate chip) for Jackson cause he's not diggin the healthy lifestyle.

I put a "1" birthday candle in his pancakes.

His birthday party was canceled, ya know.

And this was the best I could do.

Sorry Charlie.


Jackson wanted to put "fire" on the candle.

I couldn't find matches or a lighter.

We pretended.

After breakfast, we began packing.
To evacuate.
It took all afternoon.
Then we went to say goodbye to Daddy.
He was at our friend Tony & Tracey's house cutting down a tree in their yard.
See....

After saying our goodbyes, we loaded up for what we thought was going to be a 4 hour car ride.

Boy were we wrong!

7 hours later......we arrive in Montgomery, Alabama...at 2 AM

We pulled out of town.

And headed for the Interstate.

Stella, the cat, had to be drugged.

Cat treats with triptophan.

They WORK.


Then we turn the corner and see this.

Not a pretty sight.

But it's the sight we saw the whole way to Mobile.

Yuck.

I was not a happy camper.

I suggested we give the "cat treats" to the boys...


We arrived in Montgomery at 2 AM at this lovely couple's home.
Mr. Ronnie and Mrs. Diane Lindsey.
They are the parents of Clint, James' good friend he went to college with.
We love these people.
They are family to us.
Thank you for the comfy beds to sleep in...
Wish we could have stayed longer.
But Sunday morning we were off to Decatur.
Only 3 hours away.
And it only took us 3 hours.
Big whew!

Jackson found a litter of kittens out in the shed.

He man handled those poor kittens the whole time we were there.

Sorry little kittens.

The scary guy is long gone from you now.

He wondered why the mommy cat kept running from him.

I told him it was because he was scaring her.

He told me, "But I'm not a scary monster mom"

Ha.




Lounging on the old swing.

My grandmother used to swing me on this very swing when I was a tiny baby.

And she sang to me.

"Swing low, Sweet chariot....comin' for to carry me home"

Her voice still rings in my ear.

Love that swing.


Jackson found a dead butterfly.
That was entertainment for a solid 2 hours.
Happy Charlie on that old swing.
Invading the poor kittens house my Dad made them.


Lana and me on that old swing.
Charlie and my Grandmother.
It took him a few days to warm up to her and allow us to get this picture.

ok, so the storm has passed.

It's Wednesday and we decide to head home.

James says we still don't have electricity.

But we don't care.

We're ready to be home.

So we load up.
And drug Stella, the cat, again.


Charlie can't believe he has to endure another car ride.
Good thing he can't talk yet,
he might have cursed us.

And so we arrive home safe and sound.
It's good to be home.
The house is hot,
and Jackson can't understand why I can't turn on the tv
or the light in the bathroom so he can "go"
an hour passes,
and all of a sudden....
the lights flicker on
and the sound of the air conditioning kicks on.
God is so good.
I can sleep under my covers tonight
instead of on top of them.


Yesterday I spent getting the house back in order. Removing all of the extension cords from the generator and such.
Unpacking all of our suitcases.
Doing mounds of laundry that James had left for me.
Thank you sweet husband.

After I finished my tasks.....
it was on to more fun things.
Lana and I hit up the Hobby Lobby in Decatur
and all of their fall stuff was on sale.
Big time.
How does my mantle look?

And remember a couple of posts ago....

when I had that really productive and creative Saturday?

I made fall wreaths?

Well, I finally got to debut them on the front door!

I think think look fabulous if I do say so myself :)


I love fall.

And I LOVE those feathers in my wreaths.

James and I are supposed to be on a plane, ALONE, TOGETHER, to New York right now.

But we had to cancel our trip.

Too much stuff going on to leave it all.

James has tons of work and that's a blessing.

oh well. Maybe another time.

But my Mother-in-Law is still coming for the weekend.

And that's a blessing too.

James and I get date night on Saturday night!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Wow. What a post. I am glad to hear you guys are home safe. We have been wondering how everything went for you. And I love your wreaths! Man, I wish we had a Hobby Lobby in Eldo....

Happy Birthday Charlie!!