Friday, August 29, 2008

Preparing for an Evacuation


A sense of de ja vu has taken over me the last couple of days. I spend too much time watching the news. It's all too consuming. Gustav is coming, but the question is.."where is it going??" Katrina was three short years ago. ON THIS DAY. It doesn't help that the news gets everyone all stirred up and panicky. Our town is bustling, it's like a "calm chaos" in the air. Weird. Wal-Mart was eerie the other night as Lana and I went for water and batteries. Lots of shelves were completely bare. They were sold out of most canned goods. There was no tuna left or air mattresses. And the only flashlights they had were the really expensive ones. Otherwise, the shelves were bare. Cars congested the roads trying to get into the gas stations around town for some gas. Some pumps were already sold out. Schools and colleges have begun closing.


We don't know what we are doing yet. I'm sure we are going to evacuate if it stays on its path, and we'll probably leave Sunday for Alabama. James has already declared that he's staying no matter what. That makes me a little nervous...I think I'm going to lose that battle. The southshore (New Orleans) has already called for mandatory evacuations starting in the morning. I'm sure our Parish will follow suit in the next two days. James' family was supposed to drive down this weekend for Charlie's first birthday. But I had to cancel his birthday party :( and his family isn't coming anymore. Which is probably a smart thing to do. At least Charlie has no idea that he is missing his birthday party, or his cake.....we'll try to reschedule Charlie.


I feel bad for all of those people that did lose their homes, family members, everything they owned during Katrina. Those people are still dealing with those emotions. And now they have to deal with this. It's like re-opening a wound. I think I would move somewhere else if I were them. Just for my sanity. But I can't say too much, because I've never been through what they have. I do know that our things are just that, things. As long as my family is safe, I know that we will be ok. (I am bringing my photo albums and computer with me if we evacuate though!) God bless you all and we will be in touch!


Kids Update:

I had to take Jackson to the doctor today and he's got an ear infection and cold. We had a bad night with him last night. I'm just glad that I got in at the pediatrician today and got some medicine for him. Otherwise, I could see this ear infection turning into a $200 trip to the ER in another town for some antibiotics! Thank you God!


Charlie is happy go lucky Charlie. He's got no clue what's going on. Tomorrow is his birthday and I'll make him his favorite breakfast. Blueberry Pancakes. That should put a big smile on his face. Oh, and he'll get his car seat turned around. That's always an exciting event! I can't wait to see his face when we do! I'm sure I'll blog about it:)

No comments: