Sunday, August 5, 2012

Decatur Visit--Long Overdue

The weekend before school starts I had promised my Grandmother Cagle we would come and visit.
We usually go every Easter to Decatur and this year we went to Destin to my mom's because a bunch of PA family was going to be there...
...so it wasn't until August that we made it to Decatur. 
My sweet 92 year old Grandmother had never met Georgia Mae.
Georgia is named after this precious woman.
Mae Lenese Cagle

She has always gone by "Lenese" as long as I've known her.
I have never heard anyone call her Mae.
I love Mae.
and Georgia Mae had a beautiful ring to it :) 
My Grandmother doesn't cook anymore..
During one of our weekly phone conversations she casually said, "I am getting so sick of canned soup."
It literally broke my heart.

Instantly an idea popped into my head as to what I would be doing when we went to visit her.
I cooked all day on Saturday and completely stocked her freezer.
Ravioli and Zucchini Lasagna
Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken Spaghetti

Chicken Tetrazzini

We ran out of room in her refrigerator freezer so we had to put some in my Dad's freezer.
She was soooooo excited.
And so thankful.
I received a thank you note in the mail from her the following week we got home.
Such an easy task of cooking for me became such a burden for her and her arthritic hands.
I was more than happy to help her.
I wish I lived closer to her, I would bring her hot meals daily. 
My Dad hadn't seen Ga since she was born, so this was a treat for him too. 
It took the Lady a few hours to warm up to the man. 
But once she did, all was well. 
All Smiles! 
So was he... 
the kiddos with their Grandaddy Cagle 
I'm so happy that my kids know their great-grandmother.
 
I love this woman to death.
She has always held a special place in my heart. 
We rarely come visit, but when we do, she welcomes my rowdy bunch with open arms.
They are never too loud or crazy for her....
She loves watching them play and get the occasional hug as one is passing by her recliner. 
4 generations. 
Jackson and my Dad's terrified dog.

The dog was certainly glad we had a short visit! 

No comments: