Monday, July 21, 2008

The Preacher's Wife

Our preacher, Tim Hines, has been in Honduras most of the summer with his mission groups so our church has asked numerous speakers to preach on Sunday mornings. Our church is new and is relatively small still and not all of the men are up for some public speaking. Well....James was asked...and he didn't say no! All week leading up to the "big day" he was nervous and stressed out. Saturday evening, with kids running around and playing, we sat down at the kitchen table and wrote a sermon together. It was awesome. His topic was "Planting a Seed." As in planting God's word in our hearts and the hearts of others and watching it grow. It was the perfect topic for James (he picked it). After we got it all typed up, he headed to the bathroom to sit in front of the mirror and rehearse (this was a trick I learned in college in my public speaking class...and it works). Sunday morning comes...and he is so ready. We had to pick his shirt accordingly due to the massive amounts of sweat that pour from his body during public speaking. I was not aware of this problem, he told me he remembered it from his college days too. Anyways, James did GREAT and looked so natural up there! I was so proud of him and he hopefully will inspire other men of our congregation to step out of their comfort zone and challenge themselves.
Side note: After church was over, James said, "that wasn't so bad....I could do that again." uh-oh...do we have a budding preacher in the making???


2 comments:

Beth said...

He did SO good! I know you were very proud. : ) And yes, hopefully this will inspire others to follow suit!
P.S.~ The Gilmore boys looked super cute in their matching outfits!

melanie said...

Jess...I have not been doing my usual "blog stalking" and was just catching up on your fam. the boys are so precious. The pics are so good. I am so jealous of New York! How fun. and you look great. The working out is working for you!!! You inspire me. And what the heck with your house!!!! I know you are so frustrated. I wish I was in town to help out!

(btw...I would have totally worked out smelling like poo!)

mel